Sunday, July 6, 2014

Learning to read


This is how I started teaching my oldest daughter how to read. She was barely 3, knew how to write her ABCs and knew letter sounds, so when the baby was sleeping I would sit next to her while she was having lunch and I would start writing basic words (family members, foods she liked, etc.) and we would read them together, she would then try and read them by herself, line them on the table. I used different colors so that it would be more interesting for her to look at them. I used to make five or six a day and then take them out at lunch the following day, read them and start with new ones. I would gradually add more abstract ones like articles and basic verbs and so on and after reading them we would try and combine them into sentences. It worked for us. She learned to read in a couple of months! She still loves this box...

No comments:

Post a Comment