Sunday, July 6, 2014

DIY Phonics Course





It took me some time to prepare it but now that it's ready I can tell it was worth it.
I decided to come up with a phonics course that I made myself. It wasn't hard to make at all and all I used was the printer, some paper, scissors, pictures from old magazines, glue and markers. The boxes you see in the photo are blueberry, strawberry and cherry tomatoes boxes I bought at the local market... Can you tell I tend to never throw anything away? :)
There are 26 boxes, one for each letter of the alphabet, of course, and each of them contains:

- 10 upper case and 10 lower case letters
- 10 pictures of animals, foods, objects, parts of the body, rooms of the house and popular characters whose name starts with the letter being studied
- shapes activity (using pictures of words that start with the letter in question)
- size sorting activity (using pictures of words that start with the letter in question)
- counting practice (using pictures of words that start with the letter in question)
- a board with a drawing or a picture that we use to practice matching upper case with lower case
- colors activity (using pictures of words that start with the letter in question)


The ladybug box contains objects whose name starts with one of the 26 letters of the alphabet. I use it as a sort of treasure box: my kids need to close their eyes and pick one of them, then they tell me what the first letter is or simply take the objects out of the box and play with them. Sometimes we hide the object and play phonics hide and seek.

I am planning on also coloring them and keep adding new material as I find it (in magazines, those toys you find in the yummy chocolate eggs we love, and so on...)

I also prepared something more for words (and their first letter) that are very popular: a pizza game I drew and colored and some toppings I drew, so my kids ca prepare their own pizza. Same goes for muffins, apple trees and baskets, one basket for A and for a, the kids need to put the letter apples in in the matching basket. And many more.




No comments:

Post a Comment